Monday, October 17, 2011



OCTOBER 17, 2011                                               CONTACT: Samuel L. Rivers (914) 760 8136

MOUNT VERNON, NY Democratic district leader and Community Activist Samuel L. Rivers today announced that he is spearheading an “Occupy Mount Vernon” rally to bring attention to issues affecting City of Mount Vernon taxpayers and the quality of life in the City of Mount Vernon.  

A flier currently making its way through the Mount Vernon community states “We gather to Occupy Mount Vernon because the 1% closed the social security office”.  Rivers said the flier is being circulated to approximately 35,000 City residents.  The City of Mount Vernon needs to know that it was the Democratic led Congress that made $1Billion in cuts to the Social Security budget that resulted in the Social Security office in Mount Vernon closing and offices nationwide now closing at 3:30 P.M., an half an hour earlier than the previous closing time of 4 P.M.

Rivers said during the past 16 years of Democratic Mayoral leadership, that Mount Vernon has seen records levels of corruption, the highest unemployment rate since the great depression, an increase in violent crime including murders, and the cut of programs for our young people.  “The 1% made these cuts”, said Rivers.  “We have a disruptive group of individuals being led by Westchester Democratic Chairman Reggie Lafayette,  former Mayor Ernie Davis and County Legislator Lyndon Williams that are running through Mount Vernon spreading racist rhetoric and outright lies in order to win votes for the November election” Rivers said. “Political grandstanding will be challenged head on and the public will be made immediately aware”, said Rivers. 

“The 1% that has been in power for the past 16 years has caused the destruction of Mount Vernon and has contributed to the decline in the quality of life for the other 99%”, Rivers continued.  “It is time to stop the finger pointing and playing the race card and time for unity across all party lines.  Mount  Vernon cannot afford to continue the culture of corruption that has taken over city government for the past 16 years”.

Hundreds of residents, clergy, and community activists are expected to attend the rally. “This is the first rally of many that is truly intended to unite the City of Mount Vernon.  We want to hear for all races, colors, and creeds, and from every political party in Mount Vernon” Rivers said

What: Occupy Mount Vernon “Unite Mount Vernon” Rally

When: Saturday, October 22nd, 2011

Time: 9 A.M.

Who:  All Mount Vernon residents are invited

Organizer: Community Activist Samuel L. Rivers / Mount Vernon Democratic District Leaders / Mount Vernon Republican District Leaders / Mount Vernon Conservative District Leaders

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.